Monday 21 January 2013

Farmhouse Breakfast Week Day #2

Bitterly bitterly cold here today. It's trying so hard to snow but we're still more or less flake-free. So, a winter warmer of a breakfast was needed before the walk down to school.

Back in November, I was making porridge for St Andrew's Day and Bike Lights in the Fruit Bowl's Super Magic Porridge was the inspiration for this morning's breakfast: porridge made with almond milk, ground almonds and dates, with a little sprinkle of cinnamon. I'm not normally one for fiddling too much with porridge, but this was delicious - and just the ticket for a freezing cold morning. Especially one where I also have the dreaded tax return to get crossed off my to-do list for the day. Argh.


You don't need a recipe for this one, really, do you? It's porridge, made with almond milk (I got the unsweetened kind from Whole Foods Market). I added a couple of spoons of ground almonds and a handful of chopped dates as I was cooking it, and that's it really. No added sugar necessary, dairy free, if such things are important to you, quick, warm and delicious.

Now, all I have to do is go all the way back to school with the lunch money I forgot to hand in, make a cup of tea and HMRC, I'm all yours.

Happy Monday everyone.




4 comments:

  1. The dates idea is yummy! Now you've got me thinking. Coconut milk would be nice.

    What is HMRC? (Been away a long time)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the dates were great - means you don't need any sugar. And yes, I think any of those nut milks would be good. It didn't really taste very almondy, even with the ground almonds as well. I seem to remember that almonds are good for keeping you feeling full. Or something.

      HMRC = Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs - aka the Tax Office.

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious, I think I will have to give it a go. No idea where I am going to find almond milk round here so I may have to get Mr Fox to make a special trip to Whole Foods when he's in town for work. Lucky him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might get it in Holland & Barratt if you have one of them nearby? Or maybe Waitrose? Good luck with the search anyway! Mr Fox may not return if you let him loose in WFM - it's like foodie heaven.

      Delete